ABOUT THE CONTEST
The Mayors Council of Oklahoma and the Oklahoma Municipal League invite 8th graders from home schools, public schools and private schools throughout Oklahoma to participate in a statewide essay contest, “If I Were Mayor, I Would ...” to tell others what they would do as mayor to make their city or town a better place to live.
Promoting good city government is important to Oklahoma municipalities and this essay contest provides students the opportunity to reflect on the role of the key elected official in their own community.
Our future mayors are in the classrooms of today. The education they receive today will help them to become good citizens tomorrow — and good mayors. The contest gives students a chance to creatively use cognitive and grade-specific language arts skills and civics/social studies language.
Entries will be judged based upon originality and appropriateness to the theme: What the writer would try to accomplish as mayor of his or her city or town and what he or she would do to make it happen. Essays must display an understanding of the mayor’s position. Spelling, grammar and legibility also will be considered by the judges. Three finalists will be chosen from the contest entries.
�� 1st Place – $250
�� 2nd Place – $150
�� 3rd Place – $100
ESSAY CONTEST RULES
Be creative with your ideas!
• The contest is open to all Oklahoma students enrolled in the 8th grade in home schools, public
schools and private schools during the 2013-2014 school year.
• Essays must address the subject with the opening line beginning: “If I Were Mayor, I Would ...”
• Essays may not exceed 250 words.
• Only one essay may be submitted per student.
• Essays will be judged in the following areas:
1. Must display knowledge about municipal government and the role of a mayor,
2. Must display creativity and proper use of grammar.
• Students must include their fi rst and last names, school and teacher or parent’s name at the top of
• Essays must be received no later than December 13, 2013.
Contest winners, along with their parents and teachers, will be recognized during the MCO / OML Legislative Forum. The Forum will be held on March 10th, 2014 at the State Capitol.
To enter, complete entry form and attach to your one-page essay. The student’s name, teacher or parent’s name and school must appear at the top of the essay.
IF I WERE MAYOR ESSAY CONTEST WINNERS RECOGNIZED
During Municipal Government Day activities at the State Capitol, the Mayors Council of Oklahoma and Oklahoma Municipal League recognized the essay contest winners.